Compass Charter School values the inquiry process and students at all grade levels actively engage in meaningful interdisciplinary projects.
Learn more about our Curriculum below:
- All students will participate in a variety of research practices including observations, question development, interviews, artifact collection, field visits, note-taking and hands-on experiments.
- In an ever-changing world, we believe that it is crucial for our students to learn to meet the needs of the present generation while simultaneously keeping the needs of future generations in mind. To cultivate this thinking, our students will study their relationship with the world using a lens of sustainability. Our students will participate in integrated projects focused on the living world, social justice, and economic justice.
- We will support the use of literacy skills across subject areas by creating units of study to teach specific reading, writing, listening, speaking, and language content outlined in the Common Core State Standards. Using a balanced literacy framework, our students will engage in a daily reading workshop, writing workshop, word study session, and read aloud in addition to integrated literacy work.
- The mathematics program will emphasize student-driven exploration, problem solving, collaborative group work, and discussion that supports the conceptual understanding of mathematics. We will draw from multiple resources to plan Common Core State Standards aligned units of study including TERC Investigations, Contexts for Learning, and Math Solutions.
- We view the arts as a channel for learning, communication, expression, and creativity. Teachers and arts specialists will collaboratively plan integrated units of study and our schedule will include time for arts teachers to co-teach with each classroom teacher.